Thursday 20 January 2022

My 2022 Reading Prompts

When I first started blogging back in 2014, I was really into reading challenges involving various prompts to encourage you to read outside of your comfort zone. I really enjoyed these kinds of challenges as I wasn't sure what I loved in books and used these challenges to find books I wouldn't typically gravitate towards. They were also a lot of fun to do, so I had considered doing a similar challenge for 2022. However, I found that I got easily burnt out on these kinds of challenges if they had too many prompts so struggled to find one that suited me. 

As I couldn't find a challenge I liked, I decided to create my own challenge for myself and compiled a list of 12 prompts, one for each month of the year in theory. Each of these prompts is to encourage me to either read outside of my comfort zone or pick up the books that I already own. I thought I would share these prompts, mostly to hold myself accountable.


1. Read A Classic - This is pretty self-explanatory. I have not really read any classics, except the couple I skim read for school, and I want to change that. These books are classics for a reason and I have never picked one up voluntarily. 

2. Read A Historical Romance - I read my first historical romance in 2021 when I started the Bridgertons series by Julia Quinn after loving the TV show. I have read the first five books in that series but I would like to read a historical romance outside of that series in 2022.

3. Read A Book In A Series I Have Already Started - I am so useless when it comes to finishing series so this was a prompt I knew needed to be on the list. I have so many unfinished series so I just need to read a book in one of those to tick this off.

4. Start A New (non-contemporary) Series - Despite already having so many unfinished series, I want to start a new series, ideally one that I have been meaning to get to for a while. I have started a lot of contemporary series recently but own a lot of first books in fantasy/paranormal series that I would like to get to.

5. Read A Book That Is Out Of My Comfort Zone - This is also self-explanatory. I want to push myself to pick up books I wouldn't typically gravitate towards. I might end up being surprised and find a new genre or type of book I really love.

6. Read A Book I Have Owned Since Before 2015 - I have a few books on my shelves that have been there since 2015 or earlier and I am trying to prioritise them in 2022. 

7. Read A Paranormal Romance - This is a sub-genre I haven't really explored since my Twilight days. I would like to give it a go this year and see if it is something I would enjoy now.

8. Read A Book Being Adapted In 2022 - I haven't actually looked into this one much so I'm hoping it won't be too difficult. I used to loved reading books in preparation for watching their adaptation but have gotten out of that habit in recent years. I thought it would be fun to read something being adapted this year before watching it's adaptation.

9. Read An Intimidating Book - I have quite a few books on my bookshelves that have been there for years because I find them intimidating for whatever reason. This prompt is here to force me to finally pick one of those books up.

10. Read A Low Rated Book On My TBR - This just seemed like a fun one to throw in here. I always find it interesting when I read a book a lot of people either love or hate and seeing where my thoughts lie. 

11. Read An Underhyped Book - I tend to read a lot of books that other people in the book community are reading because that is where I get my recommendations from. I don't want to just be reading super popular books that everyone else is talking about so for this prompt I want to read a book that has less than 200 ratings on Goodreads.

12. Read A Book By A Popular Author - In contrast to the last prompt, I want to read a book I haven't read by a popular author. There are a lot of popular authors that I haven't read a lot from and want to see what all the fuss is about.

Those are my twelve prompts for my little reading challenge I have made for myself. If you have any recommendations of books to read for any of these prompts, especially the classic or the paranormal romance, please let me know. 

Are you doing any prompt based reading challenges in 2022?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment