Friday 6 November 2020

October 2020 Wrap Up

October was not the one and I'm glad it's over. Let's just say my reading in October was about as successful as my blogging, I failed miserably at both. I got some bad news at the beginning of the month and my mental health went pretty downhill, so I didn't really do anything other than work and watch TV for the majority of the month. Thankfully I am now in a much better place and back into reading, which has been great for lifting my mood. I did manage to read 3 books in October, including the last book in a series I have been reading forever! 





No Exit by Taylor Adams -

I had great plans to read a load of popular thrillers throughout October but this was the only one I ended up getting to. Everyone was raving about this last year and I was so intrigued by the premise. It follows a woman who gets caught in a blizzard on the way home to her dying mother and has to stop in a rest stop in the middle of nowhere with four strangers, where she discovers a girl little girl locked in a cage in a van. It has been a while since I read a thriller quite so creepy and atmospheric, this has me on edge. The remote rest stop setting was already creepy enough but adding in a blizzard made it such a claustrophobic setting, it was thrilling before anything even happened. This was full of suspense and a whole lot of twists and turns that had me on the edge of my seat. None of the twists totally blew me away but they just kept coming. It's hard to say much without giving anything away but I would definitely recommend this to thriller fans. This one managed to scare me.

Rating: 4/5


Meet Me In London by Georgia Toffolo -

I don't think I could get more of a complete opposite genre if I tried. From creepy thriller to fun Christmas romance. This is a fake engagement romance between an aspiring clothing designer and the son of department store chain who is in town to coordinate the opening of a new store. I'll be honest, I usually avoid books written by 'celebrities' but this one wasn't terrible. I wasn't blown away but it was a fun Christmas romance that I flew through. The characters were fine but forgettable, as was much of the plot. The romance was sweet, it developed nicely and, despite the fact there is a proposal upon first meeting, it isn't too instant. Both characters have somewhat interesting side plots as well. Our heroine is struggling to come to terms with the long term effects of an accident in her teens, while the hero's father is seriously ill. There was a lot going on but nothing was all that memorable. I listened to the audiobook of this, which was narrated by Georgia herself, and I didn't love it. It was quite clear that she didn't have a lot of experience with audiobooks, as it was simply read with no differentiation of what character was talking or any sort of emotion, which made it difficult to follow.

Rating: 3/5


Undivided by Neal Shusterman -

FINALLY!! After probably about ten years, I have finally finished the Unwind series! It was my goal for 2020 to finish this series, so I am so glad I have finally done it. I really wish I had read this whole series when I first started it years ago, as I'm sure I would have absolutely loved this final book back then. Unfortunately, upon rereading and continuing with the books in this series this year I found that it's just not my kind of thing anymore. I have still enjoyed this series, but just not as much as I first did. I thought this was a good ending to the series, still full of action and drama but it did a great job of wrapping up the story.

Rating: 3/5


Those are all three of the books I read in October. Now that I am back in the reading mood a bit more, I'm hopeful that November will be a better reading month. I can't wait to get in to all the Christmas romances, so if you have any recommendations please let me know in the comments.

What was the best book you read in October?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment