Tuesday 5 May 2020

Taylor Swift Songs As Books

A few weeks ago I was brainstorming ideas for some different posts to do to try and get me excited about blogging again. One idea I thought of, that I was pretty excited about, was this - matching Taylor Swift songs with books they make me think of. As a huge Taylor Swift fan, and lover of books, the idea of combining two things I really love just seems like the best thing ever.

Within a couple of days of starting to plan this post, I discovered that Gabbyreads has a series of videos on her channel that follow this same idea, so definitely go and check out her videos. I haven't watched any of them before writing this, although I can't wait to go and check them out afterwards, so if there are any similarities in book choices it is unintentional.


Tied Together With A Smile - Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard
This song just reminds me of Suzanne's character from this book. When we're first introduced to her character she appears to be this fun, bubbly girl with a mysterious past, but as the story progresses things begin to unravel. 


Love Story - Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston
A forbidden romance involving an actual Prince, what else was I going to choose for this song? Everything about this song just reminds me of this book.


You Belong With Me - Love, Life and the List by Kasie West
The main character in this book, Abby, has been in love with her best friend for forever and it is so clearly obvious as a reader that they completely belong together. 


Back To December - Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren
Childhood sweethearts, whose relationship ended badly, have a chance meeting years later and have to make sense of their feelings around what happened between them and their feelings now. 


I Knew You Were Trouble - City Of Bones by Cassandra Clare
This song just reminds me of Jace. We all knew Jace was trouble when he walked in.


Style - Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
This is your typical bad boy and good girl who can't keep away from each other despite not always treating each other the best. It was the first book that popped into my head when I was listening to this song.


I Did Something Bad - Did I Mention I Love You? by Estelle Maskame
I would say falling for your step-sibling is probably the definition of doing something bad. These characters know what their doing is pretty frowned upon but even that can't keep them away from each other.


Soon You'll Get Better - Extraordinary Means by Robyn Schneider
The first book this song made me think of was actually The Fault In Our Stars, but this is a similar story that I actually enjoyed more. A boy is sent to a boarding school for sick teens, makes a great group of friends and meets a girl, who are obviously all also sick.


Lover - You by Caroline Kepnes
I am fully aware that these are so incredibly different. However, the line 'can I go where you go?' just reminds me of Joe. I can't listen to the song the same after making this connection.


The Archer - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Did anyone not see this coming? The song is in no way similar to the book but I can't see the song title without thinking of Katniss Everdeen.

Those are ten Taylor Swift songs as books, some more closely linked than others. I had so much fun doing this so I can definitely see me doing more of these in the future. Let me know what artists I should do next.

Is there a Taylor Swift song that just reminds you of a certain book?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment