Tuesday 12 May 2020

I Recommend 5: Small Town/Beachy Contemporaries

Inspired by Kayla from BooksandLala's 'overly specific' book recommendations series, I thought it would be fun to start a vaguely similar series, in which I recommend 5 books in a random, possibly quite specific category. It seemed like a good idea so I went with it, we'll see how quickly I run out of ideas.

For today's list, I'm bringing Summer to you early. All I have been wanting to read recently are super summer, mostly YA, contemporaries. I want all the light and fluffy summer fun. It seems to be my perfect escape from reality so, as that is something I think we all need right now, I decided to share five of my favourite books in this category. More specifically, five contemporary books set in small beachy tourist towns as this is one of my favourite settings.


This is the book that reminded me just how much I love this setting and gave me the idea for this list. It is a YA contemporary following two best friends as they spend the summer trying to complete a list, in order to help our female MC improve her art, and obviously there's some romantic interest between them. This is so stinking cute and is set by the beach.

So this is cheating a little but I couldn't choose just one. Morgan Matson books are the perfect summer read, and the majority of them are set in a small beachy town. In fact, I believe most of them are set in the same town. If you're looking for a fun summer adventure, involving a summer bucket list, Since You've Been Gone is really great. If you're looking for a beach fun with some more hard-hitting aspects, Second Chance Summer is beautiful but utterly heartbreaking. If you just want some slice-of-life summer fun, The Unexpected Everything is exactly that. I just love her books.

If I remember rightly, this isn't set in a beach town but it is set in a small tourist town that gave me the same kind of feeling. This is a super cute YA romance between a small town girl and a movie star, which all starts with an email being sent to he wrong person. It's been a while since I read this so I don't remember too much, but I do remember it giving me all the small town vibes that I love and a really sweet romance.

This series as a whole isn't my favourite, but I did quite enjoy the first book. This is about a girl who has been going to the same beach house with another family for years and takes place the summer she has really grown up, causing the two boys from the other family to finally notice her. Its full of beachy summer fun, but does have some more serious underlying storylines.

This is the book that made me fall in love with a beach setting. There is nothing light and fluffy about this book, it is heartbreaking. It follows a girl who goes to spend the summer with her father in a small beach town. This is one of the first books I can remember absolutely loving and I still think about it probably ten years later.

If you have any recommendations you could add to this list, please let me know as I would really love to read more books in this kind of setting. I just want to read them all just now! I would also love some ideas for future posts like this, let me know what you would like recommendations for.

What is your favourite setting for a contemporary? Do you love a beach setting?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment