Wednesday 15 January 2020

Most Disappointing Books Of 2019

I read 43 books in 2019, so there was bound to be some disappointing books among them. Whether that be books that I just didn't enjoy, or books that I expected to love and was a little let down by. Half the books on this list were ones I just didn't enjoy, but the other half were books I really wanted to love but didn't like quite as much as I thought I would.




1. Layover by Amy Andelson & Emily Meyer -
This is one of the books I just didn't like. This follows three step-siblings who run away during a layover in LA after finding out their parents are getting divorced. There are a lot of things I really didn't like about the books. The plot was completely ridiculous, the characters were unbearably entitled and annoying, there was a totally unnecessary romance between two step-siblings and there were so many 'not like other girls' comments that made me want to scream. There was some good anxiety rep but that was the only redeeming quality.

2. Strictly Between Us by Jane Fallon
This was a cover buy that turned out to be a total disappointment. It follows a woman who uses her assistant as bait when for her best friend's husband when she starts to suspect him of cheating. This is another book with really bad characters. I don't mind unlikeable characters if it adds to the story but these were just unnecessarily selfish and annoying. Another thing I don't typically have a problem with in books is cheating, but I wasn't a fan of the cheating taking place in this book. There were no real consequences for some of the characters, which I didn't like. It was a pretty quick read but disappointing.

3. Seven Ways We Lie by Riley Redgate -
This follows a group of seven students as a scandal breaks in their high school. This is one I had heard good things about and ultimately was left disappointed. I forgot about the majority of this book as soon as I finished it and couldn't tell you anything about it now. I remember it being pretty boring and the audiobook wasn't great/

4. Girl In The Mirror by Cecelia Ahern -
This is by one of my favourite authors so obviously I was expecting to really enjoy it. It is a collection of two short stories, each a bit weird with some kind of magical element. The first, Girl In The Mirror, was fine but kind of strange. The second, The Memory Maker, I just didn't understand at all. This is another one that was pretty forgettable and I'm so disappointed that I didn't love this is much as I have every other Cecelia Ahern book I have read.

5. The Wrong Side Of Kai by Estelle Maskame -
I am so sad that this is on my most disappointing list! I love Estelle Maskame but I just didn't love her 2019 release as much as I wanted to. This is about a girl who has an explicit video of her leaked and enlists the help of a new guy at school to get her revenge. I so badly wanted to love this, I liked the idea of the revenge plot and I love Estelle Maskame's writing. Unfortunately, I found this to be quite predictable and didn't think the pacing was that great. I really loved the characters, especially Vanessa, and the message behind the story, but I just didn't love this like I wanted to.

6. Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston
I heard so many amazing things about this book, so I completely expected to love it as much as everyone else. Sadly, this was another disappointment. It follows the son of the American president and a British prince who, despite hating each other, have to pretend to be friends, obviously leading to a romance. Don't get me wrong, I liked this book but it didn't live up to the hype. I enjoyed the characters and the romance, although I do wish there was more of a build up to the romance, but I got bored in the middle. I enjoyed it fine, but expected to enjoy it more.

Those were my most disappointing books of 2019. As I said, these were not necessarily bad books. Some of these I did enjoy, I just hoped to love them more. If you loved any of these books, I'm so happy for you and in no way mean to offend you.

What was your most disappointing read of 2019?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment