Monday 27 January 2020

2019 Goals Review

It's that time of year again where I look back at my goals for the previous year and realise how badly I have done with them. I'm not sure that I have managed any of my 2019 goals, but the year didn't quite go as planned.



Goodreads Reading Challenge
I stuck with the usual 50 books despite reading more than that in 2018. However, I only managed to read 43 books in 2019. I did better than I thought I would, as in the middle of the year I was expecting to only manage around 30 books. I don't think I did too badly considering how busy the year was.

Read More Variety
I really wanted to read more of a variety of genres in 2019, but once again I read predominantly contemporary. I read 20 contemporary books, with my next most read genre being non-fiction with 6 books. I only read one or two books from other genres. This is something I need to work on in 2020.

Use The Library More
This was a fail as well. I actually ended up using my library less in 2019, reading only 2 library books. I only use the ebook/audiobook service and despite borrowing quite a few of both throughout the year, I just never ended up getting around to them. My reasoning for this goal was to reduce my book buying, which I ended up doing through using Scribd a lot so I didn't fail completely.

Get My Physical TBR Down
I set this goal every year and fail every year! My physical TBR was sitting at around 145 books at the beginning of 2019 and was still sitting around the same at the end of the year. I drastically reduced my book buying in 2019, but using Scribd so much meant that I wasn't reading the books I own quite as much as I should have been.

Request Less ARCs
Finally we have one that I managed to accomplish! I didn't really have time for ARCs in 2019 so I managed to only request a few. I was quite overwhelmed by ARCs in 2018, so it was nice to not have that stress. I think this is something I will try to keep up for 2020 and only request ARCs that I am really interested in.

Post Reviews On Goodreads
I think I reviewed maybe 4 books in 2019 and I'm not sure I posted any of them on Goodreads. I did do a post about my feelings on reviews and how I will be doing them less from now on.

Bookstagram
It's no surprise that I failed at this once again. I'm just not creative and I always feel a pressure to make my pictures as nice as others, which obviously doesn't happen and I'm left feeling like I'm not doing a good enough job to carry on. I think I'm going to do this a little differently in 2020 and accept the fact that I am not a creative person who takes nice bookstagram pictures.

It's safe to say 2019 wasn't a very successful year in terms of my reading goals. Hopefully 2020 will be a bit better.

How did you do with your 2020 goals?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment