Monday 12 January 2015

Mini Reviews | Books Of 2014 Part 1

There are a few books that I read in 2014 that, for whatever reason, I have decided not to review fully. In some cases there are so many reviews already that I would not be adding anything new, in others I just don't have enough to say about the book to write a full review. However, I would like to give these books some recognition, which is why I have decided to write 'mini reviews' of the books I have read in 2014 but will not be writing a full review about. As these are mini reviews, don't be expecting any in depth views, I will simply be stating what I liked, disliked and my rating.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicThe Fault In Our Stars by John Green
Published By: Penguin
Published On: January 10, 2012
Genre: Contemporary
Pages: 313
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Amazon | Goodreads

What I Liked: This is one of the most talked about books of the past couple of years and I can understand why. The story, though heartbreaking, is enjoyable to read and the characters are incredibly inspiring.
What I Disliked: There is so much hype surrounding this book that I was very intimidated by it. I felt so much pressure to love this book that I was honestly scared to pick it up.
Rating: ★★★★★


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling
Series: Harry Potter #1
Published By: Bloomsbury Publishing
Published On: June 30, 1997
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 223
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought

What I Liked: In my opinion, it is very difficult not to like this book. The plot, characters and setting are all so well written. I felt as though the characters were my personal friends and I, like many others, adore the Hogwarts setting. 
What I Disliked: My one issue with this book is the fact that I have seen the movie so many times that nothing was a surprise to me. I know the story well and so I expected all of the main events.
Rating: ★★★★

Image and video hosting by TinyPicOur Story by Union J
Published By: Michael Joseph
Published On: September 26, 2013
Genre: Memoir/Autobiography
Pages: 256
Format: Hardcover
Source: Gift
Amazon | Goodreads

What I Liked: I absolutely love Union J (yes, boybands are my weakness) and this book gives a very interesting insight into the boys' lives before X Factor and then their X Factor journey. It is very informative and a good, fun read for those who want to know more about the boys. There are also a lot of really great pictures throughout the book.
What I Disliked: Obviously this was not the kind of book that takes a lot of thought or effort to read. However, there is not really anything I disliked about this book.
Rating: ★★★★

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

In Between (#1), On The Loose (#2) and The Big Picture (#3) by Jenny B Jones
Series: Katie Parker Productions
Published By: NavPress
Published On: April 15, 2007 (#1)
Genre: Contemporary/Christian Fiction
Pages: 352
Format: eBook
Source: Bought

What I Liked: This series is a perfect introduction to the Christian Fiction genre. I loved the main character, Katie, and her story. Her growth throughout the series, specifically in relation to her faith, is inspiring, as are many of the background stories throughout the books. I was very pleased that the Christian aspect was more subtle than I had expected. While it still played a very important part in the story, there was no shoving religion in the readers' face. I am so excited to read the fourth, which I think is the last, book in the series
What I Disliked: I found Katie to be a little immature in the first book in the series, In Between, and for that reason found it a little difficult to get into at first. Other than that, I had very little issue with these books.
Rating:
In Between - ★★★
On The Loose - ★★★★
The Big Picture - ★★★★

That is the first half of my mini reviews of my 2014 reads. Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment