Wednesday 30 September 2015

Mini Reviews | A Bit Of Non-Fiction

I started doing some mini reviews at the start of the year for those books that I don't have loads to say about. There are times when I read a book but when it comes to reviewing it, there isn't enough to say to make up a full review. I don't want these books to go unnoticed, however, so mini reviews are perfect. In these reviews I will mention a few things I liked about the book, and a few things I did not like.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicOne Born Every Minute by Maria Dore & Ros Bradbury
Published By: Sphere
Published On: January 10, 2011
Genre: Non-Fiction
Pages: 243
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Amazon | Goodreads

What I Liked: I have always been very interested in the role of a midwife and have enjoyed watching the TV show that this book has come from. I found this to be a very interesting and informative account of the role of a midwife, both the good and bad.
What I Disliked: As there were two authors of this book, a lot of the chapters were very repetitive as they were both discussing the same topic. I also found it to be quite disjointed at parts.
Rating: ★★★


Image and video hosting by TinyPic  We Should Hand Out Sometime by Josh Sundquist
Published By: Little Brown Books
Published On: December 23, 2014
Genre: Non-Fiction
Pages: 336
Format: Audiobook
Source: Audible
Narrated By: Josh Sundquist
Amazon | Goodreads

What I Liked: This was bound to be a funny book given the premise and it did not disappoint. All of the stories in this book were funny but also quite relatable. Josh is a very likeable person which made reading this book a whole lot more enjoyable. I also loved how refreshingly honest he was throughout the book and he was a fantastic narrator.
What I Disliked: The only issue I had with this book was that it got a little repetitive after a while.
Rating: ★★★½



Image and video hosting by TinyPicOur Story by Collabro
Published By: Blink Publishing
Published On: March 5, 2015
Genre: Non-Fiction
Pages: 248
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought
Amazon | Goodreads

What I Liked: I absolutely love these boys so obviously I loved this book. I am a huge Collabro fan so I really enjoyed getting to know more about them and their lives before Britain's Got Talent. I also really enjoyed the insight into the process of Britain's Got Talent and found that very interesting.
What I Disliked: I really didn't dislike anything about this book, there just wasn't anything particularly special to make it a 5 star read.
Rating: ★★★★


Image and video hosting by TinyPicCabin Fever by Mandy Smith
Published By: Thistle Publishing
Published On: April 5, 2014
Genre: Non-Fiction
Pages: 244
Format: eBook
Source: Bought
Amazon | Goodreads

What I Liked: I am really interested in anything to do with flying and I love planes and airports. I picked this up to get more of an insight into the life of an air hostess and I definitely learnt quite a bit. I loved all of the stories of interesting flights and passengers.
What I Disliked: There was far too much information about her personal life, and in particular her sex life. I have nothing against sex in books but I when I was looking for an insight into the life of an air hostess, I don't need 50% of the book taken up by details of the author's sex life and her relationship history. I was not interested in her personal life, particularly when it was not at all related to her being an air hostess!
Rating: ★★½

Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment