Monday 5 October 2020

September 2020 Wrap Up

It's starting to get to that crazy time of year again! September was a busy month for me, with work being quite intense and barely any time off. Not only did I struggle to blog, I only read 4 books in the month, which is the least I've read in a month all year. Three of them were pretty chunky books, but it is still a little disappointing to me. On the plus side, every book I read in September I rated 4 stars, so at least I enjoyed everything I read. 



Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer -

After finishing my reread of the Twilight series, I finally got around to reading the newest Twilight release, Midnight Sun. This was my most anticipated release of the year and I was so relieved that I ended up really enjoying it. Midnight Sun is essentially a retelling of the events of the first book in the series, but told from Edward's perspective. I found that I enjoyed Edward's perspective more than Bella's, as I often found Bella to be quite an annoying character. I was worried I would be bored as I know the story of Twilight so well, but it felt completely different from Edward's perspective. Certain events from the original book had more depth and were more explained seeing them from Edward's side, which I found so interesting. I'm still not entirely sure what he saw in Bella though, she was just as annoying as I had always found her to be. Overall, I really enjoyed diving back into this series and loved the nostalgic feeling of experiencing a Twilight book for the first time.

Rating: 4/5


City Of Bones by Cassandra Clare -

Once again I have started rereading this series in the hopes of finally finishing it. This was my third read of City Of Bones and my feelings about this remain the same. I really enjoy this world and learning about the Shadowhunters and their history. I love all of these characters and the relationships they have with each other. I remember finding this first book quite confusing initially, but by the third time through I don't have that problem. I have a super short review from my first time reading it here. I'm looking forward to hopefully making my way through this series soon.

Rating: 4/5


Hook Shot by Kennedy Ryan -

After all of the vampires and paranormal creatures, I needed a bit of romance. This is the third and final book in Kennedy Ryan's Hoops series, featuring three basketball romances. Hook Shot follows Lotus, the cousin of Iris in the first book, and Kenan, August from book one's teammate. I really liked Lotus in the first book and couldn't wait to get more of her story. Both Lotus and Kenan have so much going on in their personal lives, meaning that this book dealt with some very difficult topics. Lotus' abuse as child is touched on in the first book and is discussed again in Hook Shot. I found it incredibly powerful to read about Louts facing her past and the people who help her do so. We also see Kenan dealing with a very public divorce and trying to co-parent his teenage daughter with his difficult ex-wife. There were just so many really interesting aspects to this story and they were just as important as the romance itself. I loved the way the romance developed and just how well they dealt with everything that was thrown at them. They are definitely one of my favourite couples, and individually two of the best characters I've read about. My only complaint about this book is that it felt a bit too long. Every time I thought it was just about to wrap up nicely, there was more. However, I did really enjoy this book, and this series as a whole.

Trigger warnings for sexual abuse, attempted suicide, death of a loved one.

Rating: 4/5


Down Among The Sticks And Bones by Seanan McGuire -

And back to the vampires and paranormal creatures we go. This is the second book in the Wayward Children series, which follows children who go through doors to other worlds. The second book in the series follows Jack and Jill, who we meet in the first book, and tells the story of their time in a world of vampires and mad scientists. This was such an interesting read. I loved getting to know Jack and Jill's back story and getting to know them more as characters. I found their world really interesting, although a bit confusing, and enjoyed getting to discover it with them. These books are so well written, with every part so important to the story. It's so clever but also so whimsical and almost like a fairy tale. This was a really enjoyable read and so quick and easy as it is so short.

Rating: 4/5

Those were the four books I read in September. Not a great month in terms of quantity, but it is great that I enjoyed all of them. Hopefully with a bit of time of work this month, and being in a better headspace, I can read a bit more in October.

What was the best book you read in September?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment