Tuesday 24 December 2019

What I've Been Watching: Christmas Edition

As I have mentioned already, I like Christmas quite a lot. I have my favourite Christmas movies that I watch every year, usually multiple times, but I do try out some new ones each year. I thought it might be fun to share the Christmas movies, and TV show, I have watched so far this holiday season.


Let It Snow - This is the Netflix adaptation of the novel by John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle. I read the book last year and enjoyed it, so I was super excited that this was being adapted. This follows a group of teenagers in a small town during a Christmas Eve snowstorm. I actually ended up being a little disappointed by this film. It wasn't a bad film, but it almost felt like nothing really happened. It had its cute moments and a few festive bits, but probably not one I'm likely to watch again.


A Christmas Switch - This is basically a Christmas version of Freaky Friday. Two completely different women end up in the others body and have to live their life during the holiday season. If I'm being honest, this wasn't that great. It's obviously a concept that has been done many times before, but this wasn't done very well. I wouldn't recommend this one.


Merry Happy Whatever - Unlike anything I have seen before, this was a Netflix Christmas show. The story itself is not unusual, a girl brings her boyfriend home to meet the family and it doesn't go quite as smoothly as everyone hoped. I wasn't loving it after the first episode but decided to keep going and I'm really glad I did. I ended up really enjoying it and got pretty invested in the story. I would definitely recommend giving this a watch.


Christmas In The Heartland - This is another switching movie! In this one, two teenagers on their way to spend Christmas with grandparents they have never met decide to switch places. This was a pretty average teen movie that I almost gave up on. It really wasn't great to start with, the acting was bad and the story was slow, but it did get better. It was very predictable and even more cheesy than the usual Christmas movies. However, it wasn't terrible and I did find it quite sweet in the end.


A Bad Moms Christmas - I watched Bad Moms a few years ago and really enjoyed it so it was nice to finally get around to watching the Christmas sequel. This movie follows the three mothers from the first movie who have to deal with the stress of the Christmas season, but with their own mothers turning up to add to the madness. I really enjoyed this, though not as much as the first, and thought it was a super fun Christmas movie. Although I am not a mother, I thought it was super relatable at showcasing the stress of Christmas, while most other movies like to paint the picture of a perfect, stress free holiday season. The cast is great, the plot is never dull and pretty funny, and there is a nice heartfelt message to it as well.


A Christmas Prince - This was probably the biggest surprise of the Christmas movies I have watched this year. It follows a reporter who is sent to write a story about a Prince and ends up under cover as a tutor in the palace. I enjoyed this way more than I was expecting to. It was pretty predictable but it was also really sweet. I enjoyed the story and ended up quite invested in the relationship. There are another two movies in this series available on Netflix and I can't wait to check them out.

That is everything Christmassy I have watched so far this year, well except all of my usual favourites. I will for sure be watching more in the next couple of days, so they will most likely feature in a future What I've Been Watching post.

Do you have any Christmas movie recommendations for me?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment