Wednesday 1 May 2019

Wrap Up | April 2019

I have been the worst blogger over the past month! April has been so crazy that I had time for nothing other than trying to survive my dissertation. However, now that is out of my life for good, I can get back to all the things I have been neglecting. As well as not having much time to blog, I didn't find a lot of time in April to read. I only managed three books in the month, which is more than March but considerably less then the first couple of months of the year. I did really enjoy all three of the books I did get to and even found another 5 star read.



Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough -
With all of the hype surrounding this book, and the ending in particular, I knew I had to pick it up. I had not idea what to expect as I went in completely blind, but I definitely didn't expect that. This is the kind of book that had me confused for basically the whole thing. I had no idea what was going on, but that's what made it so intriguing and kept me completely hooked. I would definitely suggest going into this blind, which is why I'm not giving any kind of synopsis. It was one of the weirdest reading experiences of this year so far, but I actually really enjoyed it. The ending seems to be very hit or miss but I thought it was an amazing twist. It is quite rare that I'm completely shocked by a twist but this one managed it, it was great!
Rating: 4/5

Hard Pushed by Leah Hazard -
This is a non-fiction book, being published tomorrow, following Leah Hazard's journey as a midwife in the NHS. I have mentioned several times that medical memoirs like this are completely my kind of book, but I am often a little let down by them. This was not one of those books at all. I absolutely adored this book from start to finish. It was a real raw, genuine insight into the role of a midwife and the many challenges they face, particularly in an understaffed and underfunded health service. Yet the struggles and real lows of midwifery were well-balanced with fun and heartwarming stories of some of the amazing women and families that have been cared for. I just thought it was perfect and definitely confirmed my desire to one day go into this wonderful profession.
Rating: 5/5

The Start Of Me And You by Emery Lord -
After a good 3 years of sitting on my shelf just waiting to be shown some love, I finally picked up my second Emery Lord book. I really enjoyed Open Road Summer and knew I wanted to read more from her, but for some reason it took a lot longer than I would have liked. This one follows a girl who is trying to get her life back on track a year after the sudden death of her boyfriend. This book featured so many of the things I love, and didn't have the usual plot points that I really hate. We had a great friendship group that didn't have any unnecessary drama or fall outs over really stupid things. We had an adorable romance that wasn't instalove and started as a really pure friendship with no inability to use simple communication. Even better than all of those things, we also had platonic boy/girl friendships, involved parents and the sweetest grandmother. There was a lot I really liked about this book! There wasn't really anything I didn't like, but it just wasn't quite a 5 star read for me.
Rating: 4/5

I read a real mix of different books in April, but really enjoyed all of them. I know May is going to be another really busy month for me, but hopefully I can do a bit better with both blogging and reading this month. However, as long as I read some more books I enjoy then I can't complain too much.

What was the best thing you read in April?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment