Friday 3 August 2018

Haul | YALC 2018

Between January and June 2018, I acquired a total of 29 books. Between July 27th and July 29th 2018, I acquired a total of 23 books! I knew I would get a lot of books during YALC, so much so that I took a small extra suitcase with me to bring them all home in, but I didn't quite expect to get almost as many books as I had acquired in the first 6 months of the year. I suppose I better get on with hauling them or we'll be here all day.


The Crash by Lisa Drakeford - A car crashes into a house and everyone involved has to deal with the aftermath. One of the lovely people on the Chicken House stand recommended this to me and I was so intrigued.

The Baby by Lisa Drakeford - A girl, who didn't know she was pregnant, gives birth at her friends birthday party. Again, this was recommended to me by the same lovely person on the Chicken House stand and it seemed like my kind of book.

Freshers by Tom Ellen & Lucy Ivison - Following a boy and girl as they start university. I've been wanting to read more uni books recently, specifically set in UK university, and I've heard this is hilarious.

Penguin 2018/2019 Yearbook - This is Penguin's book of extracts from their 2018/2019 releases. I was so excited to get my hands on this as it includes extracts from some of my most anticipated upcoming releases.

The Truth About Lies by Tracy Darnton - A girl with an incredible memory remembers everything, including who killed her roommate. I heard Tracy Darnton talk about this book on a panel and was completely sold, so I had to go and buy a copy and get it signed.

Close Your Eyes by Nicci Cloke - This is the story of a school shooting. After reading Toxic by Nicci Cloke, I knew I wanted to read more from her. This sounds like my kind of books so I made sure to pick it up.

Clean by Juno Dawson - It's basically described as Gossip Girl goes to rehab. I have been wanting to read something from Juno Dawson for a while now and this just sounds amazing.

Tell Me No Lies by AV Geiger - This is the sequel to Follow Me Back, a thriller about fan obsession and trolling, which I just recently picked up on ibooks. This was available for free with another purchase so I decided grab it and binge the series.

I Stop Somewhere by TE Carter - A hard-hitting contemporary about sexual assault. I have heard so many amazing things about this book.

Nowhere Else But Here by Rachel Cotton - I don't know anything about this book but Ink Road publish some of my favourite books so I really wanted to support them and this was one of the only books on the stand I didn't already own. Also, this was written by a seventeen year old!!

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stane: Scots Edition by JK Rowling and Matthew Fitt - Harry Potter translated into Scots, I just had to. Even as a Scot myself, I think I'll struggle with this one.

My Heart Goes Bang by Keris Stainton - This is another uni story and one I have had my eye on for a while. I decided to pick it up at YALC so that I could go and get it signed, which was a great idea as Keris Stainton turned out to be one of my favourite people that I met the whole weekend!

One Small Thing by Erin Watt - A forbidden romance between and girl and the boy involved in the death of her sister. This is another one I have been desperate to get my hands on since before it was even published.

Sweetfreak by Sophie McKenzie - Another book about trolling and online hate. Sophie McKenzie wrote one of my favourite books when I was younger, Girl, Missing, so I'm interested to see how I feel about her writing now.

The Last Summer Of The Garrett Girls by Jessica Spotswood - I'll be honest, I picked this up because of the cover and the fact it has the word 'summer' in the title. All I know is it takes place during the summer.

Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson - A girl interested in true crime tries to solve a cold case involving her new school. I heard Emma from emmmabooks talk about this book on her channel and she raved about it so much I have to read it.

All These Beautiful Strangers by Elizabeth Klehfoth - I heard Elizabeth Klehfoth talk about this book during her panel and had to pick it up. She described it as for anyone who loved thrillers and boarding school, which is definitely me.

My (Secret) Youtube Life by Charlotte Seager - The My Kinda Book stand were selling mystery books, where the books are wrapped so you don't know which book you're getting, so of course I had to get involved. This was the book I got, which I know nothing at all about.

Izzy & Tristan by Shannon Dunlap - A modern-day retelling of Tristan and Iseult. This is one of the few ARCs I managed to pick up and it is one that I am very excited about.

Giant Days by Non Pratt - A novel based on the graphic-novel series, and one of my most anticipated releases of the year. Early copies were available at YALC and you even got a free reusable coffee cup.

Easy Prey by Catherine Lo - Another ARC and another book with online aspects. A teacher's inappropriate pictures get leaked and there are only three student's who could have done it. This is one I am incredibly excited for.

If You're Lucky by Yvonne Prinz - This is another mystery/thriller, I believe, and one I don't know much about. I picked this up for free with another purchase but I'm interested to give it a go.

This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp - Another book about a school shooting. I have been desperate to read this since it was first published but haven't been able to find it anywhere in the UK. As soon as I saw it on a stand, I grabbed it and even let out a little squeal of excitement.

Those are the 23 books I picked up at YALC. I think it might take me a little while to get through all of these but I will be well stocked up for a while. If you were at YALC, what did you pick up that you're most excited about? Which of these books would you recommend I pick up first?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment