Tuesday 27 June 2017

Top Ten Tuesday | Top Ten Books I've Read So Far In 2017

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke And The Bookish. Lists galore, I can think of nothing better!

This week's topic is the top ten best books of 2017 so far. This kind of carries on from the theme of a lot of my posts over the past couple of weeks as I have been talking a lot about my reading over the first half of the year. I think I've had a pretty good reading year so far, reading some books I've really enjoyed, and I've even given out a 5 star rating which is pretty rare for me.

1. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by JK Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne
I mentioned this in my Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag as my best book of the year so far. I know that's a pretty unpopular opinion as a lot of people disliked this book but I really loved it. I go into more detail in that tag and in my review but I found it to be a very fun read.

2. Flawed and Perfect by Cecelia Ahern
I'm counting these together since Flawed was a reread (and partly because I couldn't narrow it down to just ten books). Flawed was my favourite book of 2016 and I loved it just as much the second time around. Perfect is the conclusion to the duology and while I didn't love it as much I did really enjoy it.

3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
It took me forever to finally jump on this bandwagon but I finally read what seems to be everyone's favourite book. This was the first book I read this year and a great way to start it off. I really loved it and definitely understand the hype.

4. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
This is another one that I had been putting off but finally read this year. I was worried about reading this book considering the very mixed reviews but ended up loving it. I've never laughed so much at a book with such a serious topic. It broke my heart but it was great.

5. Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry
Yet again another book that I had put off reading. Maybe this will teach me to just read things instead of putting them off! I loved this way more than I was expecting to and it made me ugly cry in public, which is obviously the sign of a good book.

6. PS I Like You by Kasie West
Kasie West is one of my favourite authors so of course she would appear on this list. PS I Like You wasn't my favourite of her books and it took me a while to get into but once things started to pick up I was hooked. I fell in love with the characters, especially the love interest, and thoroughly enjoyed the story.

7. Windfall by Jennifer E Smith
I seem to be very hit or miss with Jennifer E Smith but her 2017 release was a hit. This was such a fun story involving a lottery win, which I hadn't read about before, but also about family. It took a much deeper turn that I was expecting but was still great fun and I really enjoyed it.

8. The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West
Another Kasie West book and probably my least favourite of hers. I liked this book but it didn't quite live up to what I have come to expect from her. It was a very cute story with an adorable couple and a great message about friendship.

9. The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson
This was the only Morgan Matson book I had left to read and, despite the fact it took me forever to read, I really loved it. It's not my favourite of hers but it was a lot of fun. It was very character driven, which I liked, and while not a whole lot happened plot-wise, there was still a lot to the story. And, of course, the dogs were great addition.

10. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
While I really loved this book and it has made it onto this list, this was a bit of a disappointment for me. It was a great story with a message that I think everyone needs to hear, but I didn't fall in love with it like everyone else seems to have. Don't get me wrong though, I did love it and I will push this book on everyone.

I don't even want to count how many times the words 'really enjoyed' appear in this post! What has been the best book you've read so far this year?

Sophie :)

8 comments:

  1. Great list! I put off reading The Book Thief for a long time, but really enjoyed it. Pushing the Limits is on my summer reading list, so hopefully I will get to it soon. I'm happy to see you enjoyed it!

    My TTT: http://jacquesbooknook.blogspot.com/2017/06/top-ten-tuesday-best-books-ive-read-in.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know why I put The Book Thief off for so long! I hope you enjoy Pushing The Limits as much as I did.

      Delete
  2. So glad you enjoyed The Book Thief, it's one of my favourites! I also enjoyed The Cursed Child although I can see why people have issues with it.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/27/top-ten-tuesday-113/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand why people dislike The Cursed Child and if I was more of a Harry Potter fan I may feel the same but I enjoyed it, and I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

      Delete
  3. I really need to read more Kasie West. I think I've only read On the Fence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! On The Fence is one of my favourite but all of her books that I have read have been great.

      Delete
  4. I pretty much love Kasie West and read everything she writes. Morgan Matson is a favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same with Kasie West. I haven't gotten around to her newest release or her Pivot Point series yet but I know I want to read everything she ever writes!

      Delete