Monday 11 January 2021

My Favourite Books Of 2020

 We have finally reached the point in my end of the year wrap up posts in which I get to rave about my favourite books I read in the year. I, sadly, didn't read a lot of books I really loved in 2020. I only rated 5 books 5 stars, one of which was a reread, which isn't great considering I read 71 books. However, the books I did love were really great reads, so let's talk about the top ten.





1. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

This is one that should have been appearing on a favourites of the year list a few years ago. I don't know why it took me so long to get to this book but I am so glad I finally did. This is the story of Starr who witnesses her childhood best friend shot dead by a police officer. In the aftermath, she has to choose between keeping herself and her family safe or standing up for justice. I was just completely blown away by this book! It is a difficult book to read, given the upsetting nature of the topics discussed, but it is written so well and has the perfect mix of the hard-hitting, serious topics, the really lovely family relationship and Starr just being a teenage girl. Every character in this book is so well developed and has such a unique voice, I loved reading about and getting to know all of them. Angie Thomas is such an incredible writer, I can't wait to read more from her, and this book is just incredible. I can't recommend it enough.


2. Know My Name by Chanel Miller

2020 involved some pretty hard hitting reading. This is the first non-fiction book on this list and another book that was difficult to read. This is Chanel Miller's memoir and discusses the period in her life in which she became Emily Doe. Chanel was sexually assaulted on the Stanford campus, which made worldwide news after the man who assaulted her was sentenced to just six months in jail and her victim statement went viral. In her memoir, she is reclaiming her identity. She discusses the assault, the trial and the difficulties that arose surrounding that, as well as how the situation affected both her life and the lives of those around her. This was so much more than I even expected it to be. It was a really tough read, this isn't sugar coated, the hard stuff isn't brushed over, but it was so worth reading. It was so well-written and so incredibly brave. I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Chanel herself, and hearing her tell her own story was powerful. So much of this book, and the things Chanel has had to face, made me so angry. Some of the reactions to this book make me so angry. This is a book that I know will stay with me for some time, and one I will recommend to anyone who feels able to read it. 


3. What Makes Us Stronger by Freya Lewis

Another non-fiction book and another very difficult read. This is another memoir and tells Freya's story of the Manchester Arena attack. Freya was not only injured in the attack, but also lost her best friend. The Manchester Arena attack is something that continues to affect me, despite the fact I was not there and wasn't directly impacted by the events. That makes both reading this book and talking about is quite difficult. Freya's story is so powerful and it was so incredibly brave of her to share that story. She discusses her memories of that night, her injuries and recovery, losing her best friend, and how her life continues to be affected. It was hard to read but it was worth it and it was incredibly inspiring.


4. The Day The World Came To Town: 9/11 In Gander, Newfoundland by Jim DeFede

Come From Away is my favourite musical of all time so of course I read this, and of course I loved it. This is another non-fiction book, which tells the story of the 38 planes, and thousands of passengers, who were diverted to Newfoundland when American airspace closed on 9/11, and the hospitality the received from the citizens of Gander. I obviously know of this story from the musical but it was lovely to learn more about the true events. This story really showcases the good in humanity and true kindness these people didn't hesitate to show to complete strangers. It was obviously a very emotional read and discusses the horrific events of 9/11 so is difficult to read at times. I just really loved getting to know more about this amazing story.


5. Love, Life And The List by Kasie West

Now for something a bit more light and fluffy. Kasie West is one of my favourite authors and has had books featured on favourites lists a few times. This is probably my favourite of all her books, and I've read almost all of them. This follows Abby who, after being rejected for an art show, sets out to complete a list in order to help her improve her artwork. She enlists the help of her best friend, Cooper, who she has had an unrequited crush on for a while, to help her out. This had so many things I love in books, it's no surprise I loved it so much. We have a list to complete, a small beach town setting, an adorable friends-to-lovers romance and amazing friendships. There are also some more serious topics as Abby's mum is dealing with severe anxiety and the impact that has on the family as a whole is discussed. This was just a really fun read with a great romance, but also dealt with some more serious topics and did so very well.


6. Long Shot by Kennedy Ryan

This was probably my most surprising read of 2020. I knew basically nothing going into it and was just blown away. This is a sports romance following August, an NBA star, and Lotus, the girlfriend of his biggest rival, who meet randomly in a bar and start to develop feelings for each other. This book takes some very dark turns, that I was not expecting, and has a lot of trigger warnings to be aware of that going into it. This book made me fall in love with Kennedy Ryan; her writing, her characters, the way she handles such difficult topics. It took me a little bit to get into but once I did I just loved this book. I have a full review here.


7. Girl Made Of Stars by Ashley Herring Blake

This is another one that took me longer than it should have to get to. It follows Mara who's best friend accuses her twin brother of raping her at a party. While she knows her best friend would never lie about that, she struggles to accept that her brother could ever do something like that. This was another really difficult book to read. It is such a raw, heartbreaking account of such a difficult time, both for Mara and her friend. This incredibly difficult situation is portrayed so vividly and you're really thrown into Mara's struggles with her. I definitely need to read more from this author.


8. Beach Read by Emily Henry

Everyone was raving about this book when it was released, which is really the only reason I picked it up. I wasn't super intrigued by the synopsis but I am so glad the hype got to me and I decided to give it a go. This follows January, a romance author who has just lost her Dad and moves into his beach house for the summer, and Gus, her college rival literary fiction author who happens to be her new neighbour. The pair are both struggling with writing and so decide to swap genres. This took a much more serious turn than I was expecting from the bright, fun cover. Both characters are dealing with some pretty heavy stuff and those topics are explored in the story. However, it is also a fun romance. I loved these characters and their banter, they had so much chemistry and I loved watching their relationship develop. Emily Henry's writing is really great, I'm so excited that she has another romance releasing in 2021.


9. The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren

Apparently enemies to lovers was the trope for me in 2020. This is another enemies to lovers romance, this time following the siblings of a newlywed couple who are the only two at the wedding who don't get food poisoning. In order to not waste the honeymoon, the couple decide to send the siblings, despite the fact the two hate each other. This was just so much fun! Olive and Ethan have the best banter and I was rooting for them from the beginning. The Hawaii setting made for such a great backdrop to their story, and the beach resort just added to the romantic vibes. I also loved the fake dating thrown in there as well.


10. Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer

This one is purely nostalgic! While I know they are not the best books and there are issues surrounding the series, Twilight will always hold a special place in my heart. Getting another book in the Twilight series was exactly what I needed in 2020 and it did not disappoint. Midnight Sun tells the story of Twilight, but from Edward's perspective. I ended up enjoying it even more than I was expecting to and there was a lot of new content and additions to the original story that I loved. It's the series that got me to where I am today in my reading life and that will always be special to me.


Those are my top ten favourite books of 2020. They are a bit of a mix of genres, a lot of really hard-hitting and impactful reads, but all really great books. 

What was your favourite book of 2020?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment