Sunday 13 December 2020

The Best Things I've Watched In The Second Half Of 2020

Back in May I did I post talking about some of the best TV shows and movies I had watched from the beginning of 2020 until then. I had planned to do similar posts throughout the year but it just never happened. So I decided it was time to talk about some of the things I have been watching since then. I go through phases of watching a lot of TV and movies and then losing interest for a while but 2020 has been the year of having nothing to do but watch all of the things. I thought I would go by month and share some of my favourite things I have watched. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to make any kind of note of anything I watched in June and I definitely don't remember that far back, so we're starting with July.


July




Athlete A - This is a documentary all about the sexual assault of young female gymnasts. I love gymnastics and follow the sport, though mostly UK gymnastics, so when the news of this all came to light it was a lot for me to take in. This documentary is incredibly hard to watch but very well made. It highlights the issues of the culture within gymnastics as well as discussing the sexual assault cases and how it was able to go on for so long. I would highly recommend!

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story Of Fire Saga - Now for something completely different! Let me get this straight, this is not a good movie. It's one of those movies that is so bad it makes it enjoyable to watch. It follows an Icelandic duo who end up competing in the Eurovision Song Contest. It's just so much fun and I ended up watching it twice in like a week.

The Hate U Give - I read the book and watched the movie straight after, both of which I loved. I thought the movie was a really good adaptation of the book and the cast was pretty great. This follows a girl who witnesses her best friend shot and killed my a police officer and has to choose between keeping out of the spotlight or fighting for justice.


August


The Imagineering Story - As a massive Disney fan, this was everything I ever wanted. This series follows the development of the Disney parks across the world and the evolution of the different attractions. I just loved learning all about the creation of the parks and seeing all of the work that goes into the development of attractions.

Hamilton - I am also a huge musical theatre lover so of course watched Hamilton when it came to Disney+. I had never seen Hamilton and only knew some of the music but knew from all the rave reviews that it is widely loved. Thankfully, it didn't disappoint. I really enjoyed it, particularly because the cast were incredible. 


September


Becoming - This is a documentary following Michelle Obama on her book tour. I read the book last year and loved it, and also really loved this documentary. I just love Michelle Obama as a person and her personality really shone through in this. Her passion for everything she does is just so inspiring.

The Vampire Diaries Season 7&8 - I finally finished The Vampire Diaries! I have been watching this show for like ten years and I don't know why it took me so long. I have always loved it but just kept getting distracted by other things and forgetting to come back to it. I obviously can't say much about the final seasons but I was so completely hooked. I watched them within two weeks, while working full time, and every episode just destroyed me.

Into The Unknown: Making Frozen 2 - I was not expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. This is a documentary series that follows the complete making of Frozen 2. I found it so interesting to learn just how much goes into making a movie like this and how many people work on it. I learnt so much and spent the entire time wishing I was in any way creative so I can do what these people do.


October

UnReal Season 2, 3&4 - This is another of those so bad it's good kind of things. I watched the first season a while ago and enjoyed it but the rest of the seasons go gradually downhill. This is just such a strange show. It follows the crew of a Bachelor type dating show and it is full of drama. I did enjoy it, I had fun watching it, but it did get worse as the seasons went on.


November



Dash & Lily - This might be one of my favourite things I have watched all year. I absolutely adored this show. I wasn't a huge fun of the books, they were just average for me, but this adaptation was better than I could have imagined. It follows Lily who puts a notebook of dares on a shelf in The Strand and Dash who picks it up, and takes place in New York City over Christmas. I wanted to start it again as soon as I finished it.

Holidate - This is a Holiday rom-com following two strangers who agree to be each other's Holidate, a plus one on any holiday throughout the year. I'm not a fan of Emma Roberts so wasn't sure how I would feel about this movie, but Luke Bracey made up for it. This was actually really sweet and a lot of fun. It doesn't take much for me to enjoy a Christmas movie but I really enjoyed this one.

Noelle - I was so sad when I couldn't watch this last year because Disney+ had not launched in the UK yet but I finally got to watch it this year. This follows Santa's sister who has to travel to Arizona after he doesn't return from the short break she suggests he takes. I just love any Christmas movie that involves Santa, the North Pole or any of Santa's family members. I also love Anna Kenrick so this was perfect for me. It was a lot of fun and a really sweet story, definitely one that the whole family can enjoy.


Those are the best TV shows and movies I have been watching over the past 5 months. I have watched a lot more but a lot of it has been pretty average and not really worth talking about, which is a bit disappointing. I'm sure I will watch some more great things before the end of the year.

Do you have any good TV show or movie recommendations similar to the things I have mentioned?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment