Monday 14 January 2019

Top Ten | Favourite Books Of 2018

I'm really behind on these end of year blog posts but I'm getting there eventually. I read a lot of really great books in 2018, so it only seems right that I take some time to rave about my ten favourites. It was so hard to narrow it down to just ten but every book on this list still gets me excited to talk about, which seems like pretty good favourites criteria.



This list isn't really in any order but this is probably my number 1 book of the year. I went into this not expecting to love it, as books set in one day are hit or miss for me, but was so pleasantly surprised. I loved the story. I loved the characters. I loved the way it was written. It was a emotional rollercoaster, but one that made me think a lot about myself and being lost in my own life. It was just amazing.

2. Wonder by RJ Palacio - 
It seems like everyone has read and loved this book and I was the last one to jump on the bandwagon. I'm so glad I did though, as this story is truly beautiful. It is a very touching story that managed to be both heartbreaking and fun at the same time. So much was packed into such a short book. It has a brilliant message and I would encourage everyone to pick this one up.

3. This Is Going To Hurt by Adam Kay - 
For something completely different, this is a non-fiction book about life as a junior doctor within the NHS. I work within the NHS so I always enjoy books like this, but I have never enjoyed one this much. As well as clearly emphasising the many flaws in our current system, this was a hilarious collection of stories from Adam Kay's time as a doctor. It had an important message to portray about the state of the service, but it did so in a comedic way that was enjoyable to read. I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard at a book.

This was a complete shock. I picked this up having heard nothing about it. simply because the synopsis sounded intriguing. It is a very interesting take on sexual assault, victim blaming and slut shaming, which was difficult to read but a very important topic of discussion. I wasn't expecting to love this as much as I did but it was incredible.

I have made no secret of the fact I adore Estelle Maskame and this series. I read all but the first book in the series this year and I would probably put all of them on this list if I could. However, book 2 is definitely my favourite. I love Tyler and Eden but the new characters introduced in this book added so much for me. The New York setting also has a lot to do with this being my favourite in the series. Basically I just love all of these books and I will push everyone to read them.

6. The Gift by Cecelia Ahern - 
This was an other surprise, although it really shouldn't have been. Cecelia Ahern is one of my favourite authors and I have had one of her books on my favourites list every year I believe. This book I picked up on a whim because I fancied something Christmas related and it was available on Scribd. It was not at all what I was expecting it to be, but it was an incredibly written, beautiful story about using your time wisely and appreciating what you have. 

7. Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard - 
For some reason, I put off picking up this one for a couple of years. When I finally did decide to pick it up, I was so angry I hadn't done so sooner. This is a story about friendship and features one of my favourite friendships I have ever read. These characters are real and flawed but so amazing that I want them to be my friends. It explores some pretty dark topics but it is written incredibly well and is so different to any 'typical' YA contemporary, particularly in the lack of focus on romance.

8. To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han - 
I finally picked this up in preparation for the film and loved this whole series. This is another one that I would put all three books on the list. I love the fake relationship trope, which was done very well in this book. This series also has one of the best families I have read, I loved the relationship between the sisters. On top of all of that, this was also just a really fun book that I had a great time reading.

This was the first book I read in 2018 and what a way to start the year. It is so short but yet another book that fits such a beautiful story into such few pages. This book deals with so many topics - such as grief, sexuality, unhealthy relationships - and does so very well. However, at the heart of the story is friendship. It is definitely an emotional read, it will have you sobbing, but it is really beautiful.

This is another book that was a surprise to me. I also read Simon in 2018 and Leah was one of my least favourite characters. However, I was surprised to find I absolutely loved her in the book and actually loved her story even more than Simon. Friendship seems to be a theme in my 2018 reading and this friendship group is another of my favourites, so that was great to read about. The relationship was definitely the most adorable thing about this book, and the discussions regarding sexuality were really great.

I read some pretty great books in 2018! Just writing this list has made me want to reread all of them straight away. There are so many other really great books that didn't make this list, I just had too many to talk about. I really hope I have such a great list for 2019, I can't wait to read even more amazing books.

Did you read any of my favourites in 2018? What were your thoughts?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment