Tuesday 22 January 2019

Top Six | Most Disappointing Books Of 2018

While I read so many amazing books in 2018, inevitably there were those that did not live up to my expectations. I would love to just talk about the best of the year but I do find it interesting to take a look at those books that I didn't love. This isn't a list of bad books but rather the books that I expected more from. Obviously I expect to like every book I read, or else I wouldn't want to read it in the first place, so those that I end up not enjoying are going to leave me feeling disappointed. If I mention your favourite book then that's great, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. These books just weren't for me but they will be for other people.


I didn't love Sandhya Menon's debut novel but I wanted to give her another chance. Unfortunately, I didn't love this one either. This is about a girl who is directing a film for a school festival with the help of her crush's brother. I found the main character very annoying and I was disappointed that film-making wasn't much of a focus, which I believed it to be from the synopsis. It all just fell flat for me.

2. Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll - 
This is a mystery/thriller that I had heard so many people rave about. It follows a woman who appears to have the perfect life but she is living a lie and hiding secrets from her childhood. I just found this quite boring. I wasn't really invested in the story at all and didn't find any of the twists particularly shocking. 

This books is unlike anything I have read before. Seriously, I have never read a more pretentious book before. It is about twins who decide to throw a final dinner party before graduation. It was so bizarre, but also as though it was trying too hard to be strange. There wasn't really any plot and I didn't really like any of the characters. This book definitely wasn't for me.

I really wanted to love this book as the synopsis sounded really great. It is about a girl who works in the local bookshop that is being shut down and decides to fight to save it. This was a fun read but it featured so many of my bookish pet peeves and so much drama. It was very predictable, I don't think there was anything I didn't see coming. This is definitely a book for younger readers but I don't think even teen me would have enjoyed it. Another one that just wasn't for me.

5. My (Secret) Youtube Life by Charlotte Seager -
This is the most infuriating book on this list because I really loved half of it. It is written from two perspectives; one is a popular youtuber struggling, the other is a huge fan and wants her life to look the same. I loved the chapters from Lily, the youtuber, but hated the other chapters. I would have enjoyed this far more had it just been Lily's story, as I found Melissa's story annoying and kind of stupid.

6. We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han -
The first two books in this series were average for me but this one was just too much. The way the story went in this book was just silly to me and I ended up really disliking a lot of the characters. It was such a disappointing ending to a series I had somewhat enjoyed up to that point. 

Those are the six books that disappointed me in 2018. Have you read any of these books? What were your thoughts?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment