Wednesday 14 July 2021

Mid-Year Book Freakout 2021

 We've reached that point in the year already, it's time to look back on the first half of the year and see how my reading has been in 2021 so far. I have been doing the Mid Year Book Freakout since 2015 and it's one of my favourite posts to do each year. I find it so interesting to look back on my reading and see what I should be reading more of in the next half of the year. 

From the beginning of January to the end of June, I have read 46 books. Considering I usually set my yearly goal for 50, thats pretty impressive for me. Of those 46 books, 17 were audiobooks, 15 were ebooks, only 4 were physical books, and 10 were a combination of audio and either physical or ebook. I have read mostly Adult books at 34, with 6 NA and 6 YA, which is a big shift from previous years. Unsurprisingly, my most read genre so far this year has been Romance at 34 books and I don't see that changing. I have had SEVEN 5 star reads so far this year, which is more than I had in all of 2020, and my average rating is currently sitting at 3.5 stars. From those stats alone you could say 2021 has been a pretty great reading year so far.



1. Best Book You've Read So Far In 2021

This is so hard to choose this year! I have a few that are all fighting for the top spot but I'm going to go with The Simple Wild by KA Tucker. I loved this book so much and am already caught up with the series, which says a lot since I'm so terrible at reading series.

2. Best Sequel You've Read So Far In 2021

This is another really hard one! I've read a lot of really great sequels so far this year. I could definitely say the sequels to The Simple Wild, but I can't use those books for every answer. I'm going to go with Love Her Or Lose Her by Tessa Bailey. This was a bit of a surprise as I only gave 3 stars to the first book in the series, but I really loved this one.

3. New Release You Haven't Read Yet But Want To

The Soulmate Equation by Christina Lauren is one that I have been desperate to read, and own the ebook of, but just haven't picked it up yet. I'll definitely be getting to it soon.

4. Most Anticipated Release For The Second Half Of The Year

I probably have to go with With You Forever by Chloe Liese. This is the fourth book in the Bergman Brothers series, which I started this year and am already caught up with. I am so excited for Axel's book and just to spend more time with this family.

5. Biggest Disappointment

Unfortunately, I have a few disappointments in amongst all of the great books I have read so far this year. As sad as it makes me, I have to say Take Me Home Tonight by Morgan Matson. This was one of my most anticipated books of the year but it just wasn't for me.

6. Biggest Surprise

I would have to say The Duke And I by Julia Quinn, or really the Bridgertons series as a whole. I had never read historical romance before I picked up the first book in this series, and only did so after watching and loving the TV series, and I was so surprised when I really enjoyed it. I definitely want to pick up more historical romance once I've finished this series.

7. Favourite New Author

This has been the year of discovering amazing new authors, so this is the hardest question. I'm going to go with Brittainy C Cherry because I have read three of her books so far this year and given out two 5 stars and a 4 star. My favourite from her so far has to be Eleanor & Grey.

8. Newest Fictional Crush

Again, this is so hard! I've read a lot of really great heroes so far this year. One of my favourites was definitely Alex from People We Meet On Vacation by Emily Henry, he was an absolute sweetheart.

9. Newest Fictional Character

This is another one I could have so many answers for but I'm going to go with Penelope from Romancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia Quinn. I just love her so much!

10. Book That Made You Cry

I didn't want to use the same book to answer more than one question but no book made me ugly cry the way The Simple Wild by KA Tucker did. I'm talking full on sobbing.

11. Book That Made You Happy

I've been really into the emotional romances lately so I didn't have a lot of choice for this question. I'm going to go with Forever Wild by KA Tucker because being with these characters makes me happy.

12. Favourite Book To Movie Adaptation You've Seen So Far This Year

I'm cheating slightly because it's a TV show rather than a movie but I definitely have to say Bridgerton. I loved that adaptation so much.

13. Favourite Review/Post You've Done This Year

I've been really slacking with blogging so far this year but Reading Booktube's Favourite Romances Of 2020 was really fun.

14. Most Beautiful Book You've Bought So Far This Year

I haven't bought a lot of physical books this year so far but I did buy Wild At Heart by KA Tucker and that cover is beautiful.

15. Books You Need To Read By The End Of 2021

Oh God, there's so many! I would like to read all of the books I've physically owned since 2014 or earlier, which is only 7 books but none are ones I'm excited to read. I think I might start doing a series here on the blog about this process. I would also like to finish the Bridgertons series, I don't think that will be too big of an ask.


That was the 2021 Mid Year Book Freakout. I've definitely had a good reading year so far this year, I'm really hoping it will continue throughout the second half of the year. 

What has been your favourite book of 2021 so far?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment