Sunday 28 June 2020

Mid-Year Goals Check-In

We are now half way through 2020, which is crazy, so it's time to look back on the first half of the year and check-in with the goals I set for myself at the beginning of the year. I was unsure about even making goals for 2020, so I haven't really been focusing on them. I didn't make as many goals for myself in 2020 as I have in past years, though I'm not sure that will make it any less likely that I will completely fail at all of them. 



Goodreads Reading Challenge
I always set my Goodreads goal for 50 books, some years I read way under that but other years I manage to read more. I am currently 11 books ahead of schedule, having read 34 books so far in 2020. I haven't had the 'stay at home' advantage that a lot of other people have had in the past few months, as I have still been working as normal, so I'm pretty happy with that number. I think I have a pretty good chance of reaching 50 this year.

Finish Some Series
I wanted to get through some of the many series I have started but not finished in 2020. So far, I don't think I've finished a single series. I have made some progress on a couple of series, and started a few new ones, but my progress on this goal seems to have slowed a lot recently. 

Reduce My Physical TBR
This is the goal every year that I fail miserably. Of the 34 books I have read so far this year, only 7 of them were books I have physically owned prior to this year. I haven't bought a lot of books this year so my physical TBR isn't growing massively, but it isn't shrinking either.

Blog More Consistently
This is another goal I have every year, but I think this year is the best I have done with this one in a while. I did have a bit of a lull for a few months, but I have been managing to post around twice a week most weeks since the end of April. I'm really hoping I can keep this up throughout the year.

Photograph Every Book I Read
I wanted to share every book I read in 2020 on my bookstagram that I made but kept neglecting after feeling I'm just not creative enough to take nice pictures. I stopped caring about my pictures looking as good as everyone else's. as my goal was just to have a visual documentation of my reading year, and I have been keeping it up. I'm not very up to date with it but I am trying.

I've not been doing as bad as I expected! I need to finish some series and read some of the books I own, but other than that I'm not doing too bad. 

I mentioned in my Summer TBR post that the current situation in the world made me look more closely at the kind of books I have been reading. I was really quite disgusted at myself when I discovered that I have read almost entirely from white authors so far in 2020, and this is something I want to change. I'm making it a goal for the rest of the year, but also just forever, to read more books from Black and POC authors. I would also like to be a bit more aware of the books I'm picking up and conscious of author identity as I want to be reading books from people of all backgrounds and identities and promoting their stories here on my blog. I really hope I can do better in the remainder of the year, and in the future in general. I'm going to try harder to do better.

Sophie :)

Find out how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement here.

No comments:

Post a Comment