Tuesday 21 April 2020

The Eve Illusion by Giovanna & Tom Fletcher Review

The Eve Illusion by Giovanna & Tom Fletcher
Series: Eve Of Man #2
Published On: April 16, 2020
Published By: Michael Joseph
Genre: YA, Dystopian
Pages: 400
Format: eBook
Source: Netgalley
Rating: ★★★

Eve is the last girl on earth. 
For the last sixteen years, Eve has been a prisoner. Guarded by the Mothers. Trapped by her fate. Watched by the world. 
Until she took her chance, and escaped. 
Eve finally has the freedom she has wanted for so long, and with Bram she has the love. But both come at a price. In this dangerous new world beyond the Tower, the regime are only ever one step behind. And together with the desperate rebel group fighting against them, Eve has found herself in more danger than she ever could have imagined. 
With everything stacked against them, can Eve and Bram survive?

This is the second book in the Eve Of Man trilogy by Giovanna & Tom Fletcher, a book I didn't realise I was anticipating until it's publication was announced. The premise of this series sounded so interesting to me when the first book was released. It is a dystopian series following Eve, the first girl born in fifty years. While the first book was interesting and enjoyable enough, it didn't blow me away or make me super excited to know how the story would continue. However, upon seeing the second book being published, I found myself interested in how Eve's story would progress.

The second book picks up immediately after the first book ends, so be aware there will be spoilers throughout this review. This isn't something I find happens often, but I very much enjoyed diving straight back into the story and being right in the middle of Eve's escape. I also enjoyed the extra perspective brought in to this sequel. I particularly enjoyed Michael's POV of the escape, as this helped to make it feel more real.

While the first book in the series did a great job of setting up the story and introducing us to the life Eve was living within the tower, the second book brought the action. Though not a huge amount went on in terms of development of plot, the authors did not shy away from hard-hitting, action packed scenes. There was a lot of torture and death throughout this instalment, with nothing appearing to be too gruesome. I found this aspect to be quite thrilling and made me feel deeply for our main characters.

Despite all the action, the main plot was a bit boring. As I previously mentioned, there wasn't much plot development until near the end, which resulted in much of the book dragging. While the characters did show development, and I really enjoyed seeing them and their relationships with each other grow and evolve with the new situations they found themselves in, it just wasn't enough to keep me interested.

Overall, this was an enjoyable book and decent second instalment in the series. I would say it is on par in quality with the first in the series, but the series itself is still just average for me. I do enjoy the characters and found many of the elements of this book thrilling and interesting, but not enough to keep me invested in the story. I am interested to see how the series concludes, so will be picking up the final book, which I have higher hopes for given the ending of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment