Tuesday 16 June 2020

Top Ten Books On My Summer TBR

I'm finally posting a Top Ten Tuesday on a Tuesday, it's a miracle! This week the topic is books on your Summer TBR. With everything going on in the world recently in regards to the Black Lives Matter movement and all of the amazing action being taken, I took the time to reflect on my own behaviours and the changes I can make. I was incredibly ashamed and embarrassed to discover that almost all of the 30+ books I have read so far in 2020 have been written by white people. I have made no effort to read books by Black authors, which is not right. I was always of the belief that I don't choose books to read by the authors skin colour but by the content of the book itself and this is not the right attitude to have. All voices deserve to be heard, all authors should have their stories shared. I want to do better, not just right now but always. I will now be making much more of an effort to diversify my reading. With that in mind, I decided to share with you the top ten books by BIPOC authors that I hope to get to this Summer.

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

1. You Should See Me In A Crown by Leah Johnson - A battle for Prom Queen, in order to win a scholarship, plus a f/f romance. This is everything I could want in a book.

2. Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender - Black, queer, transgender teen gets transphobic messages, sets out for revenge and it turns into so much more. This sounds amazing. Plus, this cover is possibly the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! 

3. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas - Teen witnesses her best friend shot by a police officer. There is no excuse for me to have not read this yet, I've owned it for ages.

4. The Worst Best Man by Mia Sosa - Enemies to lovers, ex-fiance's brother, forced to work together. This gives me Unhoneymooners vibes and I need to read it soon.

5. Intercepted by Alexa Martin - I love a sports romance, I want to read more of them, and this one involves an NFL player.

6. The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory - Another one I've owned for too long. Fake dating, one of my favourite tropes, after getting stuck in an elevator together. 

7. Get A Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert - Our chronically ill main character makes a list (I love a list!) to help her 'get a life' and falls for the guy she gets to help her.

8. Love From A-Z by SK Ali - Blurbed as 'a story about finding love in the time of Islamaphobia', this sounds beautiful but heart-wrenching. Ive heard nothing but amazing things.

9. The Right Swipe by Alisha Rai - Another enemies to lovers romance, this time involving two rival dating app creators. 

10. Opposite Of Always by Justin A Reynolds - After the girl he meets at a party dies, our main character is forced to relive meeting her over and over again.

Those are ten of the books at the top of my Summer TBR. I am notoriously bad at sticking to TBRs so we'll see how many I get to, but hopefully I manage quite a few. I am also planning to read some non-fiction books over the Summer to further educate myself on racism and learn how to do better, but I think it is just as important to read books by Black authors for fun. 

What books are you hoping to read this Summer?

Sophie :)

Find out how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement here.

18 comments:

  1. I own The Hate U Give as well so I hope to read that one soon. I also want to read You Should See Me in a Crown and Get a Life, Chloe Brown.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hate U Give is top of my priority list right now. If I only read one of the books on my TBR this Summer, it needs to be that one!

      Delete
  2. I've read all the romance novels you've listed in this post and I've loved them all, especially Mia Sosa's and Talia Hibbert's. You Should See Me in A Crown sounds amazing, so I should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me even more excited to get to them! I have heard nothing but amazing things about Mia Sosa and Talia Hibbert.

      Delete
  3. The Hate U Give is a great story/film. Enjoy.

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many great books on your list! Get a Life, Chloe Brown and The Wedding Date are perfect summer reads!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should read Love from A to Z, too.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with reading from this fabulous list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also planning on reading Chloe Brown soon. I just got that one from the library. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of these, but I hope you love them when you get to them.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas is really good. I mentioned The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory on my list this week, too! Here's my TTT list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen "The Right Swipe" around and seen lots of people rave about Jasmine's books. Never read hers, but the premise always sounds fun. :) Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland last week, Sophie. :)

    ReplyDelete