Wednesday 25 March 2020

Five Series To Get You Through Isolation

The situation in the world right now is something causing a lot of stress and anxiety right now. For me, I find escaping into a book can help massively during times of uncertainty. I know not everyone can focus on books at the moment, but for those of us needing a bit of literary escape, I thought I would share some recommendations.  For those, like myself, considered key workers and putting themselves in danger to work on the front line during this pandemic, thank you for all you are doing! For those who are doing their vital part by staying at home, I've compiled a list of five series I think would make great reads to get you through being stuck inside during this time.



1. Anna, Lola & Isla by Stephanie Perkins - 
The Anna and the French Kiss series - Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door & Isla and the Happily Ever After - are some of my favourite books to reread when I just need to escape reality. I love these characters, the beautiful settings and the adorable relationships. They're such fun, easy reads.

2. The Selection series by Keira Cass - 
If you want reality TV in book form, this is definitely the series to pick up. Following a competition to marry the Prince, this dystopian series is the perfect escapist read. It has some great characters, a fun storyline, and they're all pretty much stuck inside the whole time as well! I would highly recommend if you're looking for something fun and easy to get through that will take your mind off everything going on.

3. Did I Mention I Love You? series by Estelle Maskame -
I take pretty much any excuse to recommend this series, it's one of my favourites. It is a step-sibling romance, which is a bit taboo, but I really enjoyed this series. Tyler and Eden are one of my favourite bookish couples and no matter how many times I read these books, I always love experiencing their story. I would recommend this any time, but it's definitely a good one to be reaching for just now.

4. Harry Potter series by JK Rowling -
I know I don't need to include this in this list, I think a lot of people will be reaching for this series to keep them company while they are staying at home. It is the ultimate series to escape into, as it will completely transport you to the world and most likely take over all of your thoughts.

5. Beautiful Broken Things series by Sara Barnard - 
Beautiful Broken Things and Fierce Fragile Hearts by Sara Barnard are two of the most beautiful, well-written books I have read in a while. They feature some of the best characters and one of the best friendship groups I have found in books. If staying at home has you missing your friends, get yourself introduced to these girls. I instantly felt part of their group reading these books. They also follow a great storyline, with a lot of different mental health representation.

A lot of these are 'oldie but goodie' type series and I think that is what I tend to gravitate towards in times of anxiety and uncertainty. If you don't feel like picking up any of these recommendations, I would highly recommend rereading an old favourite, that seems to be all I want to do right now.

Are you staying at home at the moment? What have you been reading?

Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment