Wednesday 1 July 2020

June 2020 Wrap Up

I realise I say this every month but this year is flying past! I can't believe it is already July when March feels like it was only last week. June seemed to go by so quickly that I ran out of time to read. I thought I had so much more time to read loads more books, and then suddenly it was the end of the month. I read a total of 5 books in June, most of which were 4 star reads, and even found a new great author.


Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer -
I continued on with my Twilight reread in June and picked up Eclipse. This is probably the book in the series I remembered least about. I have only ever reread the first book in the series, but somehow remembered quite a bit of second and fourth books, while the third was just gone from my brain. I remember disliking all the love triangle drama we got in this book, which I also didn't love on reread. I am liking Jacob more on reread than I initially had, so it was nice to have some more of him. It's been fun picking this series back up again and I'm enjoying it more than I was expecting to. I'm excited to get to the final book.
Rating: 4/5

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen -
I picked up my second ever Sarah Dessen book in June. I read That Summer years ago and was quite underwhelmed. Luckily, though, I enjoyed this one more. This follows Remy during the summer before she leaves for college, dealing with all her friend and family drama while also falling for the guy who is everything she shouldn't want, despite being against relationships. This was a pretty typical YA summer contemporary, which is what I expected from Sarah Dessen, but it was fun and a really enjoyable read. I enjoyed Remy as a character, although she probably wasn't the most likeable, and her journey throughout the book. I particularly liked her relationship with her mother and how that changed and developed as the story progressed.
Rating: 4/5

Long Shot by Kennedy Ryan -
This was not at all what I expected. This is a sports romance with a very dark, hard to read plot. It follows a NBA star and the girl he meets in a bar and their forbidden relationship. This took a turn that completely shocked me and went places I never could have imagined it going. It was was hard for me to read at points but incredibly well written. I have a full review of this coming, so I will go into much more of my thoughts there, but this was just a great book that broke my heart over and over again.
Rating: 4/5

Block Shot by Kennedy Ryan -
This is the second book in the Hoops series, with Long Shot being the first. It follows the brother of the main character from book one, and is an enemies to lovers second chance romance with his college crush. I didn't enjoy this as much as the first book. I loved Jared's character in Long Shot, but really didn't in this book. I'm all for a guy going for the girl he wants, but I hate the 'I will get the girl no matter what, I don't care who I have to hurt' kind of hero. So much of this plot just didn't sit right with me and I think that was made worse by the fact I didn't love the characters and didn't buy their connection. Banner, our female main character, was so great 90% of the time but I her opinions on Jared kept changing so dramatically with no justification, which really started to annoy me. It was equally well written, it just wasn't as good as Long Shot in my opinion.
Rating: 3/5

Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy -
I've been neglecting my owned TBR recently so decided to pick this up at random as it had been on my shelves for so long. This is about a girl who, after receiving a cancer diagnosis, set out for revenge on those who wronged her. However, when she discovers she is in remission, she has to face the consequences. I wasn't a fan of this one. I thought the characters were annoying and the plot was just boring. This had so much potential, but ended up being more about the relationship between Alice and her best friend Harvey than any revenge plot. In fact, that almost seemed like a complete side plot. Alice didn't even develop much as a character, instead she flipped a switch and completely changed. It was disappointing.
Rating: 2.5/5

Those are the 5 books I read in June. A few hits and a new author, Kennedy Ryan, who I now want to read everything from. I would say that's a pretty good month. I have some time off work in July for the first time in a while, so hopefully I can have an even better month.

What was the best book you read in June?

Sophie :)

Please find out how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement here.

No comments:

Post a Comment